Principal Scientist (m/f/d)-Upstream Cell Culture Process Development
Principal Scientist (m/f/d), USP Development Cell Culture, Schaftenau, Austria
22 years of experience in cell culture process development, with several commercialized products on the market. This is your opportunity to join the Drug Substance Development team in Schaftenau as Principal Scientist (m/f/d) - Upstream Cell Culture Process Development and participate in pioneering the future of our Biologics.
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Lead and manage all project activities related to development and characterization of upstream cell culture processes and manufacturing of biotherapeutics. Represent own technical function as USP expert within a multifunctional team
• Plan and supervise cell culture experiments in lab- and pilot-scale bioreactors; author, review and approve technical or scientific documents and risk assessments
• Support scale up and transfer of cell culture processes within our internal bioproduction network and with external partners
• Contribute to strategic decisions, innovations and global documents / development manuals; contribute to publications, presentations and patents
• Develop, mentor and coach other scientific associates
• Ensure the required level of compliance and data integrity in our development labs according to current Novartis quality guidelines (qualification of equipment, trainings, raw data management)
What you’ll bring to the role:
• Education / Experience: University degree in life sciences (biotechnology, bioprocess engineering, or equivalent); PhD with min. 2 years or Master with min. 6 years industrial experience or equivalent
• Languages: English and German (fluent)
• Technical knowledge: Thorough understanding and practical experience in bioprocess engineering principles and upstream unit operations, as well as strong scientific project management and leadership skills are essential. Experience with cultivation of animal cells in bioreactors and statistical methods (DoE, MVDA) would be highly preferred. Outstanding communication, presentation, and technical writing skills are expected.
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That’s how many lives our products touched in 2019. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We offer a market-competitive base salary in line with your qualification, experience and individual competencies. Additionally we offer an attractive incentive program, a modern company pension scheme, childcare facilities, learning & development options and worldwide career opportunities within the Novartis group. The base pay is composed of a market oriented excess payment and the respective amount according to the Austrian collective agreement (at least € 51.180,50 per year on a full time basis).
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Novartis is an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network
Global Drug Development
TECHNICAL R & D GDD
Research & Development